Pages

Friday 21 July 2017

The most dreaded question for a homemaker.

Homemakers - housewives
Fortunately or unfortunately, I am a homemaker. I stay at home and do nothing that adds to my family's income. That I  am full time busy, is a part of my life that stays invisible to everyone. The best part of my job is I get to enjoy my kids childhood and the worst part is a very dreaded question.
"What do you do the whole day?"
I don't know whether it irks all other housewives or not, but it irks me to my bones. In fact, this question has started casting on me a depressing effect.
Here are my answers for one and all who think that housewives don't contribute to a home financially.
Getting ready - routine of a homemaker


  1. I am the earliest to get up and the last one to go to bed. I clean, cook, do the laundry, get my kids ready for school and also get my husband ready for office. I plan and prepare for healthy meals. After my kids come back from the school, I help them with their studies. In short, I am a maid, a cook, a nanny, a tutor - all of these and more, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. So honey, try and monetize the work that I do. It saves my home a lot of money. As the finance wizards say, 'money saved is money earned.'                            
  2. Many housewives get a piece of advice frequently, "try and do something creative". Really!! What makes people feel that my lot is not a creative bunch, I am yet to decipher. Perhaps the daily soaps on television has let people to think this way. This stereotyping is unfair. Most homemakers that I know use their free time very efficiently. They read a lot. They might be searching for interesting recipes to prepare a surprise treat or might be browsing through some journal to design their homes better. Might be they are( I am one of such kind)  looking out for something to quench their thirst of knowledge, or something to tickle the artist in them. The crux is they are spending their time creatively and for some good purpose. 
  3. A housewife makes sure that everything runs smoothly at the home front so that other members of the home are able to go out and do their duties well. When a man is successful in his career, he has the sacrifices of his wife as his background. When a child does well in life, it's his mother's sacrifices sprinkled all over his journey. It takes courage to give up one's career, and blend oneself into a life, that is not well appreciated.

Women make homes out of houses. They might go out to work and earn money or they may stay at home and save money. It's important to respect their contribution towards family and society.
Friends, if you have ever encountered similar questions, what was your response? Do let me know by commenting. It might help me and others facing such questions to answer effectively.
Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages